In Case You Were Wondering . . . AP US History Test May 8, 2015 . . . Get Ready!


























Monday, February 22, 2010

Article X of the Covenant of the League of Nations

Article X of the Covenant of the League of Nations:
The Members of the League undertake to respect and preserve as against external aggression the territorial integrity and existing political independence of all Members of the League. In the case of any such aggression or in case of any threat or danger of such aggression the Council shall advise upon the means by which this obligation shall be fulfilled.

When you read Article X, therefore, you will see that it is nothing but the inevitable, logical center of the whole system of the Covenant of the League of Nations, and I stand for it absolutely. If it should ever in any important respect be impaired, I would feel like asking the Secretary of War to get the boys who went across the water to fight, . . . and I would stand up before them and say, Boys, I told you before you went across the seas that this was a war against wars, and I did my best to fulfill the promise, but I am obliged to come to you in mortification and shame and say I have not been able to fulfill the promise. You are betrayed. You have fought for something that you did not get.

Source: Woodrow Wilson, Speech, September 5, 1919.



1) What is the gist of Article X?
2) How does President Wilson feel about Article X?
3) Who are the "Boys" that Wilson is referring to?

No comments: